How To Make Your Bank Listen To Your Complaint?

If you have a complaint against a bank, the first thing you must do is contact your bank’s customer care and register your complaint with them. Complaints such as levying unnecessary charges without prior notice, illegal electronic transactions, mis-selling of insurance plans and so on, can be filed with the bank.

If your bank does not respond to your complaint promptly or if you are not satisfied with your bank’s response, you can file a complaint with the banking ombudsman or even the Consumer court.

The Banking Ombudsman will solve your complaints

If you are not happy with the banks response and want to take the issue to a higher level, you can contact the banking ombudsman. The Banking Ombudsman Scheme helps customers file complaints to resolve banking issues.

The Banking Ombudsman Scheme was introduced in the year 2006, with the objective of solving complaints relating to services provided by banks and settle such complaints.

All scheduled commercial banks, scheduled primary cooperative banks and regional rural banks are covered under this scheme.

At present there are more than 20 banking ombudsman centers in India. Their details and addresses will be mentioned on the RBI website. You can lodge a complaint with the Banking Ombudsman, within whose jurisdiction the branch or office of the bank you have complained against, lies.

The Banking Ombudsman can reject your complaint, if you have not approached the bank, before approaching them. While approaching the Banking Ombudsman, you need to have proof that you have already filed the complaint with your bank. You need to contact the banking ombudsman, within one year of the action taken by the bank. There are no charges for filing a complaint with the banking ombudsman.

If you are not satisfied with the bank ombudsman, you can approach the appellate authority within 45 days. In this case, it would be the RBI Deputy Governor.

Your final hope lies with the Consumer Court

You can even file a complaint against a bank with the consumer court. But, before approaching the court you should have proof that you have already raised the issue with the bank.

If you have contacted the Banking Ombudsman, you should have the necessary documents as proof. Based on the amount of loss you suffer, you may file a complaint before a District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum, a State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission or the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.

You will be charged fees for filing a complaint with the consumer court. The charges would depend on the amount in dispute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *